"The key to strengthening our families is having the Spirit of the Lord come into our homes. The goal of our families is to be on the strait and narrow path."
Robert D. Hales



Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's a Miracle!!


It's that time again...Time to go grocery shopping. So until I can make it to the store tomorrow I had to come up with something for dinner. And what did I come up with? Well if your familiar with the term "brinner" then you know what I'm talking about. Breakfast for dinner! So I fried up some eggs, some turkey bacon and toasted some yummy homemade bread (thank you for breadmakers).

Many of you know that my little man is a picky eater, so I told him he had a choice, have grilled cheese, or...eat brinner just like me. He chose the sandwich. Five minutes into my cooking time he annouced that he was done eating his sandwich. I look over and what do you know!? He didn't even put a dent in it. Figures, right? He came and sat down next to me saying that he wanted, "some toast and jam, yike mommy." I told him, "you want eggs and turkey bacon with it?" Unfortunatly I don't ever expect him to say yes when I offer him something he doesn't usually eat. But little to my surprise, before I know it the clouds part in the sky and the sun shines through and I hear angels singing! What?? Angels singing!? Yes, angles singing. He is reaching over for my bacon saying, "Is the bacon hot mommy? Should I bow on it?"

I have spent a lot of time and effort practicing NOT freaking out and getting excited when he eats something that is not on his usual list like crackers or craisons. He shoves the bacon in his mouth, scrunches his eyebrows and tells me, "Hmm, that's yummy mommy. I'm glad it's not hot."

WHAT! DID MY KID JUST EAT TURKEY BACON!!! It's okay Stacy, keep your breathing normal. Stay cool! Act like it's not a big deal, or he will toss it on the plate and never eat it again. Just stay cool! "Avery is the turkey bacon that good?" He chews some more, takes another bite and says, "yah, can I eat some more?" I told him he could have the rest of the piece it he wants. He continues to eat happily. I think to myself, 'well played, he's gonna eat the rest.' Then he asked me, "Mommy, are you done with your toast and jam so that I can have the rest?" He ate the rest of my toast and jam. I don't mind sharing my food with him. ESPECIALLY when it's something he has always turned his nose up at, like turkey bacon for instance.

I won't get my hopes up and think he might eat turkey bacon again in the next 2 years, or ever for that matter. But he showed me that he will be interested in other foods at his own pace. I'm thankful for the lessons he teaches me, patience...Lots and lots of patience. It's tough trying to feed a picky eater. You try it sometime and let me know how it goes.

1 comments:

Holly said...

Hey! I loved this story and I'm glad you got the comments to work. You are a great mom!